Friday, February 20, 2009

Booker T. Washington is my Homeboy...

Heres a story about one of my kids.... She was little about 4.... We were shopping and a lady was sweet and smiled and gave her a little wave. My daughter turned to me and said "That brown lady waved at me" very pleased with herself because she was waved at by an adult. The lady looked at me kind of like "What did she call me?" I smiled and said "She has never been taught any of the words for different races. I am sorry if what she said offended you." I wasnt really sorry and didnt sound apologetic, neither did I sound arrogant nor antagonistic. The lady chuckled and said that was what she thought she said and that she had never been called "brown" before.



Both of my sons have had same situations happen in their little lives. We talk about shades in our house - and when we all stand near each other, no 2 of us are the same color. My littlest laments that he isnt brown....I have had him wail that he isnt brown, just totally upset. Now, granted this was after a missed nap and if there had been a conversation about a poodle, I am sure he would have wailed and lamented that he wasnt a poodle....



I was born in 1970....I grew up on School House Rock. Its how I learned how a bill becomes law....How I learned the preamble to the Constitution.....How I THOUGHT we were a melting pot.

Look, I get that its in the Democrats' best interest to keep as many people in poverty as they can - to make them think that their only Salvation is through the Government - and I dont think they care what color they are.... But dont people in poverty get tired of it? Really? In this month dedicated for Black History, do those that tout it really LEARN IT?

Hey Holder - Hey Al - Hey you upstanding citizen, Jesse Jackson - Have you read Booker T. Washington lately? Have you? Well, this chick has - I even quote him to my kids - the man was brilliant - not Thomas Jefferson brilliant, but more than Pearls Brilliant:

** If you can't read, it's going to be hard to realize dreams.

** The individual who can do something that the world wants done will, in the end, make his way regardless of his race.

** Nothing ever comes to one, that is worth having, except as a result of hard work.

** We do not want the men of another color for our brothers-in-law, but we do want them for our brothers.

Long ago I realize that being a Victim is a miserable place to be....To get your self-worth, your "feel-goods" depended on whether someone noticed you, did something for you, cooed and soothed you.

Happiness is a CHOICE. It is not dependent on outward circumstances but inward disposition. Forgiveness runs a parallel race. I forgive not because it frees the offender, but because it frees me. I refuse to let someone determine how I feel. I refuse to let someone have that much power over me.

Our new Attorney General called Americans COWARDS. Dont be confused. His comments were not in any way meant to bring 2 "colors" together. His comments were to incite Black and to guilt White. His position may be a little loftier, but he plays the same game as Al Sharpton. To keep himself in his "position" he continues to hold others down.

One man cannot hold another man down in the ditch without remaining down in the ditch with him.

Of course, according to Booker T. Washington, Al's position is in the ditch.

I am done with guilt. Let guilt go a long time ago... I try my hardest to judge a man according to his character and not the color of his skin (MLK) How about Holder, you start to read and practice a little Booker T and MLK? Think this Country might be better for it? Or could it mean that you would be out of a job.....

I contend that the biggest fear of men like Holder, Sharpton, Jackson isnt "The Man", its that those they OPPRESS (and dont be fooled, they do oppress) will realize THEY hold the power and not these men....Thats a revolution I would LOVE to see....and would even throw in with.....

8 comments:

Bitmap said...

Your story about your daughter reminds me of one my mom told me. She said when I was about 2 I told her "that man had brown sugar all over him".

Don't just judge by character, judge by ability as well. I wouldn't want an honest but incompetent surgeon working on me.

It's me said...

I just hope you're watching Glenn Beck right about now.

Mayberry said...

I never had "guilt". In my recollection, I've never owned a slave. Neither has anyone in my family that I know of. They were Irish immigrants, and pretty much got crapped on when they got here....

I too judge folks by their character. I also judge by appearance, but not by color... If you are dressed like a punk, then you must be a punk. Otherwise, why would you want to look like that?

If I owned a business, and someone walked in dressed like Snoopity Dog Doo, regardless of color, I'd tell 'em to keep on walkin'... On the other hand, just because you walk in wearing a suit doesn't give you a free pass, but I'm more inclined to believe you'd be a good employee. The same goes to color.....

I drive my tractor in pearls... said...

Bitmap - if he was honest, he would tell you he sucked ;)

Meadowlark - DAMNIT - I couldnt figure out how to be 2 places at once and this was the Glenn Beck I wanted to see....I am going to see if its on YouTube and if he posted something on his site. It was the round table right? What did you take away from it?

It's me said...

I got this:

WE WERE RIGHT!!!!!!

And thank goodness someone is now taking the message to the other 85%. Of which one 30% will believe any of it, but it's a start.

I only caught the last half so I need to find it online too so I can send it to my family members.

Today has been a high-tension news day. And yes, I watched tv ALL DAY because husband is in court and the moron is defending himself and is just dicking around wasting time and keeping people there because he can. (it's nearly 7p here and husband is STILL at trial)

It's me said...

moron = criminal, not Husband, btw ;)

I drive my tractor in pearls... said...

I went to YouTube and just found the piece he did on some Fox show before the one he aired tonight. I am going to give it a bit more because I am sure it will find its way online. Just about everything he has done is on there.

And I figured it was the defendant that was the moron and not the Hubs ;)

When I find it, I will post it and send it to everyone I know.

Man, I love being right...maybe not about this, but its something ;)

The Other Mike S. said...

My favorite BT Washington quote:

There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs-partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.

The race-baiters could learn a thing or two if the read some Booker T and MLK.

Mayberry: What you wrote could have come from my fingertips, although I'd have to say German/Irish...