Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Your mission, if you choose to take it....

There was a comment a couple days ago that basically said she uses crackers like a shovel (must be a Louisiana thing :) ) and that her goal is a generator. Well, it got me thinking - Here where we are, we are pretty used to getting a good ice storm a year which knocks out power. Nice thing about it being cold is that the freezers in the garage stay frozen and we just move things to the garage that need to be cold and put things in the freezer that need to stay frozen - electricity problem pretty much solved.

HOWEVER, how to cook....in my head we would use the BBQ as well as the RVQ that is the propane gas stove attached to the trailer (it is removable). Its a great plan, but it would involve someone leaving the house and going and getting the RVQ. If we were in a situation that leaving wouldnt be possible or prudent, we would be stuck.

This is where my mission comes in this week - GO GET THE RVQ....My goal is to have here with me at the house what we would need to cook in case of loss of power. There are some other things that I would add to the list and keep here at home:

* RVQ

* Manual can opener

* Cast iron cookware

* Backup propane

* Paper plates/utensils

* Water

How would you eat/cook your food without power? Make your list this week and start checking things off.

An RVQ is a convenience, but not a necessity - Do you have a fireplace? Do you have a cast iron dutch oven? Do you know how to cook in your fireplace? Is your fireplace cleaned out and safe to use?

Also - have those recipes that you would use (Dutch oven recipes are ALL OVER THE INTERNET), in HARD COPY form (as in PRINT THEM OUT)....No electricity, no Internet - stinks, but thats the way it works :)

Pray, Praise, Prepare and this week - Propane

7 comments:

Angela said...

ROFL! Well, how else do you get your gumbo out of the bowl?!

They say when you recognize a rice field when you drive by it, you're a southerner; if you can estimate how much gravy it'll take to cover it all, you're a cajun; and if you can eat it all, you're a coon@ss. :P

On a serious note, though...we really need a generator. They've been saying for years we're going through global warming, and not it seems they're saying, "Oops! Did we say warming? We meant cooling. Yeah, cooling." If this 'snow' thing is going to be a regular event, we definitely need to be better prepared, because no one at the state level or electric company is going to adapt to that sort of thing. We could get snow every December for years, and every year it would be referred to as a freak event.

We already have two grills and a fire pit (which my brother is going to test his Dutch oven on this week), and other things you would think of for when the power is out, but the generator is key.

Anonymous said...

I designed my place with the idea of power loss in mind way back in 86. I heat water, cook, and heat my house with propane gas, using a system that has no electronic controls. I also have a wood burning stove in the basement, and a wood burning stove in the kitchen as well as a stone fireplace. I use a generator so things would have to get pretty dicey for a long time before I had to resort to cooking on the wood stove, but I could if I needed to.

It's me said...

We have fireplaces on the main floor and in the basement, and we have a dutch oven. We DON'T have a hook but I suppose we could use the camping grate. Our basement has a third chimney that used to belong to an oil stove and I've talked about getting an (un-certified) wood stove connected that we could cook on, but Husband just looks at me like I've lost my mind.

It's tough being married to a non-prepper who figures his job is relatively stable. siiiiigh.

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Cast iron abounds 'round here; a propane Coleman "camp" stove works; a kerosene (seen the price of that stuff lately?!?) one also, but may require 'gentler' weather due to ventilation...
And in Texas, we've been known to keep a bag or two of charcoal...:D

Blessings,

Cygnus

Ryan said...

My plans involve a camping stove (MSR Whisperlite) and fuel. That is about it till I have a house with a wood stove. Since I wouldn't buy a house without a wood stove that means that is it till I buy a house in a few years.

I drive my tractor in pearls... said...

Angela - you made me laugh - of course they woudl think it was a freak event!

Cygnus - I am embarrassed to say that I didnt even think about charcoal - it has been YEARS since I have bought a bag but I see the wisdom of having a couple bags and keeping it dry! Thanks!

Hermit - You were Survival before Survival was cool!

MeadowLark - may you never need your preps and if you do, may the Hubs realize how much more amazing you are!

TOR - Planning for that "perfect" house is really a lot of fun! And since you are now part of the wonderful South, woodstoves abound down here!

Marine 83 said...

I wish I had a kerosene cookstove. At 3.00 a gallon bulk, it is less than half what white gas costs. Another option is to get the parts which convert your standard coleman white gas 2 burner camp stove to propane. That way you could bring your bbq bottle and stove inside to cook.