Monday, January 19, 2009

Would Martin Luther King Jr. really be proud?

I like Martin Luther King Jr. (heretofore to be referred to as MLK) - I really do. I am not going to debate whether or not he deserved a holiday because the point is now moot. But I LIKE THIS GUY!

To judge a man by the CONTENT OF HIS CHARACTER instead of the COLOR OF HIS SKIN is something that just cant be argued with...and if this concept bothers you, there are deeper issues there than can be dealt with via a blog....I am not a real shrink, I just play one on T.V.....

Anyway, back to CHARACTER....

But I really have to wonder if this new President would make MLK proud....This past election was not an election regarding CHARACTER, it was all about COLOR....a Bi-racial Young Man vs. "The Old White Guy"....

It was about voting for HISTORY....how many times did you hear "Historic Election" - why was it historic? BECAUSE OF COLOR....NOT CHARACTER....

CHARACTER would have dictated a vote for the Old White Guy - a Man who PROVED his Character being tortured for YEARS in a POW prison... A vote for a woman who PROVED her CHARACTER in a Doctor's office when told of her son's birth defects....A vote for a man who when asked his greatest failure told of a 1st marriage where he was totally responsible for its downfall....A woman who exposed her own party's corruption....

NOT with a vote on the NEWBY that came out of Chicago Politics with an UNPROVEN track record....Whose SENATE SEAT was being auctioned off to the highest bidder....And to those who say that he had no part in it, I smile and shake my head with a "Bless your naive heart...."

I wonder if anyone else sees the IRONY....

To the BO supports - congrats - really, you won and it feels great to win! Honestly, I didnt want the other choice either - I wanted a redo.... But when you are alone at night, by yourself, and your honest, part of the fascination - the fervor - was because he was of his COLOR.....You get to say you helped elect HISTORY, when you read about it in the History Books, you get to tell your kids that you helped to get this done....I just hope that you arent embarrassed at some point in the future. I hope it doesnt come back to bite you on the ..... (My mom reads this blog).....

Honestly, voting for COLOR and not CHARACTER is just a social commentary of America's fascination with FAME because by voting for HISTORY you get to be a part of it...like sitting next to someone famous on the plane - how many times would you tell the story?

Tomorrow, this man is my President. Out of respect for the office, I will root for him and pray that his actions are true and right. I will also exercise my 1st Amendment rights IF I see actions that are contrary to our Constitution. I root for him because if he fails as President, he fails America and She would be hurt by his actions. In rooting for him, I root for America. He has my support until he weakens our Country - until he ACTUALLY DOES SOMETHING, I root FOR him....(of course, I may only be rooting for him until tomorrow evening when he starts signing Executive Orders....) But a girl can HOPE ;)

But tomorrow is it - 4 years.....My prayer - LITERALLY MY PRAYER - is that this new President has CHARACTER that will be revealed under these difficult circumstances. That the raising by Grandparents in America's Heartland instilled those values that we hold dear and true in America.

MY PRAYER is that when HISTORY looks back, I would have been wrong and MLK would have reveled in the CHARACTER of the man of COLOR.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Well said Jen! As a fellow poster stated, "you have a way with words"...even when I have to read a post more than one time to fully understand it's content.

You would be smiling at my Sophie right now, she is practicing her right to bear arms with a self made shotgun...a curtain rod...where she learned that I'm not sure. She even knows the sound effects and the cocking noise to load it. I might add that she has never been exposed to any type of firearm usage, er dad stopped hunting before she was born...hmmm...perhaps she reads your blog.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan said...

Well said.

Sam Adams said...

The O-Man was carefully packaged and marketed, overkill considering his opponent. He came from a state which is a sewer of political corruption whose governor is a prime example. No, the O-Man's character was never touted but he was constantly compared to JFK and most recently Lincoln. The electorate of USA, Inc. bought the image.

I sincerely hope he, as the media reports, will call on the country to embrace a new culture of responsibility. That would be refreshing but I am not holding my breath!

I drive my tractor in pearls... said...

Michelle - I bet Sophie was just the cutest thing and I am sure she learned all her Gun Play from her older brother! I think little boys are just born with that amazing talent of making realistic gun noises!

Thanks for the compliment - It makes me proud that you read it!