Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Little Black Book....



This is my life - my prepping life...

I actually have 2 books, but this blog is about my favorite ;) - This beautiful, black little book has my perishables - the food lists - the medical lists - the sundry list. It is black leather with an elastic band to keep it closed. Its a little thing so I just dont mind it hitching a ride in my purse at all times. It will also stand up to the constant bashing around in the purse....

Before I go to my "system" - just a little back story - I have a place in my kitchen where I keep food to cook - I also have storage in my laundry room. I keep most of my groceries in the laundry room and refill my "pantry" from the Laundry room and when I bring in groceries from the store, I put them in my Laundry room - First In - First Out in our house! - Now, back to our regularly scheduled post....

I have finally devised my system - I do have a spreadsheet. I have blogged about it before - I love it - its easy to keep totals in, it just is a TOTAL PAIN every time I cook something to log in and reduce the number - so its numbers are a little off. Its also a pain to do inventory every week to keep "up to date."

What I have finally figured out what works for me is a permanent list (spreadsheet) and my little black book. When something goes into the laundry room from the store, it gets added to the permanent numbers. When something is taken from the laundry room to the kitchen to be used or just "restock the kitchen pantry", it gets written down on my grocery list to be purchased next time at the store. So basically, my storage list is what is stored in the Laundry room. That means that we actually have more food available to us because of the items that are also kept in the kitchen.
The information I keep in my little black book is how much of the perishables I have - It is sectioned into 3 categories - Food - Sundries (Toiletries) - Meds/First Aid. On each line it lists an item - how many needed - its ranking as to priority (how important is to have - what to buy quickly) - and how many I have in stock.

The above is a page from the middle of my book - obviously of personal items. Some of the items I do not have any of and therefore the far right of the page is empty. If I have items, I use little slash marks so I dont have to keep erasing when I add to my stash. The list of items I got from this website and from my own family's needs/likes. I also adjusted how many of some items we would need and deleted some others entirely.

I am not entirely, perfectly, completely prepared. At least not where I want to be (who is?) What I have is my book of where I am and it serves as my plan to where I am going. It also helps to have it always with me so that when I come across a great deal I know exactly what I need so time, funds or a great buying opportunity are not wasted. Its just the worst to think you have enough, pass a great sale only to discover you could have used the item.

This post is a shout out to Kelli - you are doing great - KEEP IT UP!
As always - Pray, Praise and Prepare!

5 comments:

kj said...

Just cuz I'm curious....if something happened tonight, how long could you all live on what you have stocked at home now???

I drive my tractor in pearls... said...

Quite a bit - think months....that said - it would require me being able to grind the wheat berries that I have.

The grinder is my next purchase - I have just not been able to sit down and do my research on the kind that I want.

I am proud of what I have saved, but it isnt complete and it isnt a year like I would LOVE and PLAN to have...That years worth will have to wait for the house to be finished - there just isnt room here!

Ryan said...

I should have started with that sort of organization. It is awful hard to get it once things have started. I can sure use some more flour though.

I drive my tractor in pearls... said...

TOR - You are going to have to do an inventory...awful to do, but it will let you know what you have...You have been prepping for a while, I bet there are things you didnt realize you have or things you thought you had, but dont.

I love me some flour - mostly I love me some bread and pasta...GOOD STUFF!

Mayberry said...

Lists, lists, and more lists.... They keep you from forgettin' stuff! So do journals....