Monday, January 12, 2009

Car prep....

Today I did something that I have been needing to do for a while. I have needed to get my car better prepared, but its been cold (The cold weather is the reason I have been needing to prep the car). Well, we are getting 3 cold fronts this week and supposedly the coldest weather of the year, so today HAD to be the day. I cleaned out the back of my truck and ensured that the supplies I had were still usable and fresh. I also added a couple things to my list that will need to be put in the back as quick as possible.


As you know, we are building and from our home to the building site, depending on traffic can be over an hour round trip. I drive an Excursion, so I have a ton of space, but if I fill it, it kills my gas mileage. Here are the pics and what I carry....




This is an over all picture:
* 2 Blankets
* Blueprints
* 3 Kid Lap Desks - these are fabulous - they have a cup holder in the top, cute patterns and a beanbag bottom - I started a website to sell these after I bought them for my kids - WE LOVE THEM...

* 2 Plastic buckets that have car games, color pages, educational pages and a couple card games - one of the card games that I didnt realize was in the car (I thought it was in the house) is called "Worse Case Scenario" where you choose how to get out of difficult situations. A GREAT way to prep kids by playing!
* Umbrellas
* Leather work gloves
* Purple bucket

The purple bucket carries water, juice, snacks, med kit, snack cups, paper towels, cleaner.

The above is my "med" kit in addition to those little travel med kits. It has more antibacterial wipes, hand sanitizer, knock-off Advil, knock-off Benedryl, and a lighter. The lighter is in its own baggie.

I carry Benedryl because you never know when something will hit you wrong in regards to an allergy. The Benedryl might be just what someone needs to keep them with you until you get to a hospital for an eppi pen. In your car, if you have kids, your kids' friends or are personally susceptible to allergies, I would carry this in your car at all times.

I have jumper cables that are in its own compartment as well as all fuses, tail light bulbs. The front of the truck has a cattle guard as well as wench which I do know how to use.

What I need is a flashlight that you "wind" and does not require batteries as well as a good compass. I tried to get those today at the Box Store when I picked up our milk, but they were cheap.

This by no means is a fully prepared truck. The truck is packed for "everyday" and not for extraordinary circumstances. There are things that would be better to carry that will be in a bag next to the door to grab if I deem it necessary, especially depending on the weather. This is just what I have everyday with me.

So, how does your car look? Do you have what you need? Just a quick straighten-up feels like a good accomplishment.

9 comments:

It's me said...

I'm surprised there's no alcohol. Actually, I'm not kidding. If you've ever been stuck for 6 hours on the pass due to a snowslide, it's awfully nice to have martini's while you wait. (Husband was driving, so it's ok) :)

I drive my tractor in pearls... said...

Meadowlark - when I was looking for a compass, I paused for a loonnng time infront of the flasks :) I figure, if I am stranded for a while with all the kids in the car, any rescuer would understand :)

It's me said...

Just tell 'em it's in case of snakebite. It could happen.

Trip1960 said...

One thought, if I read the post right and from the looks of the pic, you do not want to have food and cleaning supplies in the same container, especially in warmer weather. There is a pretty good chance your food will end up tasting alot like the cleaning supplies, been there done that :)

I drive my tractor in pearls... said...

Trip - you are right about things tasting funny :) This is my "cool weather" pack as there is also chocolate in with the snacks. Not something you do in 100 degree weather with a black truck!

The cleaner is a little wipe kind of thing - the spray cleaner is behind the purple tub - and cleaner probably isnt the right word - its Febreeze, because the kids can make a car smell!

Thanks for the comments and welcome to the blog!

Ryan said...

One thing I would suggest is a real pair of comfortable boots for walking. I occasionally slip out of the house to "just grab one thing" in slippers or flip flops. If I needed to walk some distance or stand around outside boots with socks (just stuff a pair in the boots) are priceless.

For the kids they tend to wear pretty functional shoes so should be good to go.

Depending on what you wear normally a pair of jeans might not be a bad idea also. That being said you can walk in slacks or whatever but boots are essential.

I drive my tractor in pearls... said...

TOR - excellent point.

In the winter, I am in good shoes, but I flipflop it ALOT in the spring/summer. I will add a pair of good shoes when the weather turns to flipflop weather!

Ramon said...

I have been a stealth follower for a while, but as far as your truck equipment there is a difference between having a wench on your truck and having a winch!

I drive my tractor in pearls... said...

Ramon - ARGHHHH....I hate it when spell check doesnt catch a correctly spelled wrong word!

THANKS :)