Tuesday, December 30, 2008

10 years....

I have been surfing trying to find the article I vaguely remember....It basically stated that it could take 10 years for this country to get back on the right track financially....

10 years sounds like a long time, but it goes by so fast. In 10 years I will be in my 40's (still young in my book), I will have kids still in school, my parents will still be young.... 10 years....

If it does take 10 years to get this country back to some kind of order financially, that means it could be a long haul for some over that time. You are starting to read more people coming out of the woodwork calling what is coming a Depression (I do wonder if calling it such will make people behave in such a way to basically guarantee it becomes a Depression, but that is another post). So, I will be raising kids during harsh financial times.

I wish my Grandmother was still alive. She used to talk about growing up in a tiny town in Texas - missing school for the first 2 months because it was harvest time - picking cotton until her hands bled - being so poor.... And she would laugh and tell stories and make it seem like the best of times and the worst of times...

This time could be the best thing for the iPod generation. This trial by fire could make this idyllic, naive generation who wants world peace, kindness and all things good really capable of such things.

They could learn that money does not solve all problems and most of the time, throwing money at the problem only makes it worse.

They could learn that work is good - no matter the work - that work is its own reward and that it is good for the soul. Side note - I remember growing up, no matter how well my dad's career was going, if I commented on his success, his comment back was always "I would did ditches to feed yall." He said it with such pride that if he did dig ditches to feed us, I would have been just as proud.

They could learn that poverty isnt shameful - wallowing in victimness is.....

They could learn that a board game is just as much fun as an iPod.....

They could learn that the colors outside are much more exquisite than HDTV.....

That food tastes sweeter, blankets (quilts) are warmer and a fire is better when you make them yourself....

They could understand a "Penny saved is a penny earned" - that compound interest can do amazing things and that its NOT too much trouble to bend over and pick up Lincoln.

They could look back on this time as the best of times and the worst of times and laugh and tell the best stories....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In ten years I'll be 65. And still working, thanks to the evaporation of my retirement investments. But, I'm still alive, I still have a home, and my wife. So I guess I can't complain. Plenty of others are worse off.

Boomerator said...

Interesting point about your Grandmother. Most people who really knew what the depression was and how to survive it are gone.

Anonymous said...

my dad passed away a few years back, but living through the great depression up in Canada... he told me many stories of struggle, but also of joy during those times... I'm glad I listened and followed his advice on the ethic of hard work, perseverance and saving your hard earned dollar. Looking now at this whole mess that the country has gotten itself into this time, I think that's it a good thing. Reigning back on racking up tons of debt, living beyond your means is finally coming around to slap people in the face again... I think this is the "wake up" call this country has needed for all too long...

Ryan said...

And in each of those ten years there would be incremental steps toward a fiscally solvent stronger union.

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Tears in my eyes...
I,m 41 now. Still REAL young.
Strangely, I look forward to it all. Mayhap because, whether times are 'good' or 'bad' I'm headed in the same direction: a little simpler, a lot more secluded, and reams happier for it.

Granny made it seem like Dickens--- because it WAS. And can and will be again...

Thank you for the tears.

Cygnus

I drive my tractor in pearls... said...

Hermit - TOR: Look at yall being "1/2 full" kind of guys!

Cygnus - Didnt mean to make you cry ;) Which one are you in the pic?

Anon - I just hope this country wakes up....think the money crisis is making people pay attention - I just hope that it makes them think for themselves and not willing to fall for any more of DC's crap...