Sunday, December 14, 2008

Legally speaking....

The headline I just read was that the Illinois Governor was "weighing his legal options." His ONLY option would be to apologize and resign. Thats it. Its pathetic that "legal options" are different from right and wrong. What has happened to good, old fashioned shame? Embarrassment that would send normal people clamoring for the door?

When I listen to our knew President, I cringe at his legal speak....Its so easy to hear what you want from his words, but you need to listen to the words he uses - not the meaning he wants you to assume he means.

I think it started with the missing minutes of the Watergate tape. It moved to the definition of "is" and "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" to Elliot Spitzer, to Alaska Senator Ted Stevens, to Barney Frank and his live in lover running Fannie Mae... The list doesnt end.

These men continue on, proclaiming their innocence or at the very least, blaming someone else for their troubles.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. -- Ronald Reagan

Pearls, you say as you shake your head, what did you expect? I know it sounds naive and overly optimistic, but I expected character. No, not past tense - I EXPECT Character. I demand it.

I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is a disgrace, two men are called a Law Firm, and three or more are called a Congress. -- John Adams

I will continue to demand it because to do less is to permit this abhorrent behavior. When I call or email my Congressmen(women) I convey to them the behavior that I expect - the Character their position requires. I let them know the standard to which they are called. I let them know that in difficult decisions, I will back them up with my vote and with my voice.

My Vote and my Voice - Your Vote and Your Voice - And Yours - And Yours - And Yours....

I contend we could get pretty loud, and now more than ever, with our children's children being saddled with unfathomable debt, we need to be shouting....

Pray, Praise, Prepare

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what has happened to shame is that most wrongs now fall into the gray zone rather than where they belong....if he waits long enough weighing his options it MIGHT fall into the white zone. it's happened before!

mmpaints said...

The biggest shame of the whole thing is Rod was a skunk and a weasel before he was elected. This mess Illinois is in, all due to the greed of Chicago politicians. The whole thing was a buy/sell deal right from the start. The man has bankrupted my great state, stolen and lied, refused to pay the states bulls etc right from his first day in office. It's an ongoing thing for this state, going back decades with nothing being done to stop it. He's just another gov in a long line of thieves and liars.

Mayberry said...

Amen Pearls. Are you my lost sister? Ha ha!