Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Part 2 - Mistakes...

Just a couple more ways people mess up their food storage...

1. EVEN IT OUT....Dont buy a years worth of wheat and then save a little bit more money to then go buy a years worth of salt only to start the process over again saving for a years worth of canned green beans.... CHILL PEOPLE....

Instead of buying such large quantities, buy smaller quantities of more items. You build your pantry faster and its safer as well as user friendly. Honestly, which would you rather have? A pantry fully stocked, ready to eat out of for 3 months or a years worth of salt and wheat? No brainer here...


and lastly....

2. USE YOUR PANTRY. It would be a total waste of money to buy your food, prepare it for storage and then just let it sit. Part of prepping your pantry is to set up a system of "first in, first out." This means that the first can of something you bought needs to be the first can you use. This is your pantry ladies (and cooking guys). It isnt a storage pantry and then you have your every day pantry. YOU HAVE 1 PANTRY - its just a great, big, deep, fully stocked, pantry.

Personally, I have a pantry in my kitchen and then I have food storage in my laundry room. When I buy groceries, the extra items go into the laundry room. When there is something missing out of my kitchen pantry, I restock it with the laundry room pantry. This way the first food bought is the first food I use. If I stocked the kitchen pantry with the food I just purchased from the grocery store, the food in the laundry room would just sit and potentially rot which wastes time, money and would just generally hack me off.

You also need to know how to cook what is in your pantry. You need to practice now. You need to get your kids used to eating some things that may be new to them, you may need to do the same for yourself and your spouse - kids are the only ones that can be picky. You need to be comfortable with your routine so that when times of stress come, it is automatic and not something else that you need to learn or get used to.

Honestly, I do believe we are headed for hard times - but if we arent, you will have times of stress in your family's life. Life just is like that, it can just suck sometimes....job loss, sickness, over extended, taking care of friends or family, an older family member moving in....you name it.....having a pantry that you can turn to without thinking - without having to make a list and go to the store, having this food PAID FOR will be a respite for your soul during these times. Learn it now, so that you may have its full value later.

Start now....I feel we are prepping on borrowed time....

Pray, Praise, Prepare

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I'm working on this one now. Got a bunch of rice to eat.