Saturday, April 4, 2009

America - One Big SURVIVORS CLUB....

I am a voracious reader - the Hubs and I both are.... I usually have several books going at one time - usually one to teach me something, another to teach me something, one to challenge me mentally and an entertaining/easy one that makes me drift to someplace else.

One of the books I am currently reading is The Survivors Club by Ben Sherwood.

I am not finished in the least, but this one paragraph I had to share...

Lee Clark, a sociologist at Rutgers University, has examined many potentially panic-inducing situations. Its a widespread misconception, he says, that in fires and other conflagrations, the rules of society crumble and "our true animalistic" selves come forth. "I'm no Pollyanna," he goes on. That kind of "self-interested bastard" behavior definitely exists in the world. But in times of hazard, he argues, "this other human nature kicks in." Social values like altruism are heightened in emergencies not lessened. "After five decades of studying scores of disasters such as flood, earthquakes and tornadoes," he writes, "one of the strongest findings is that people rarely lose control." In fact, "the more consistent pattern is that people bind together in the aftermath of disasters."

It is a typical expectation of "Survivalists" that in the coming times when emergency happens or SHTF, that society will cease and people will become animals. I have had a hard time believing this stance....I have spoken to my belief in earlier posts....

This isnt to say that there will not be those that just become almost inhuman or those that are out to rob, rape and pillage....but the MAJORITY of people will not become this and do not become this.....

To give this Majority the benefit of the doubt, to see them as they are and not what I fear, puts me personally in a place to be more willing to offer charity. To emotionally keep myself on level ground. It takes the stress and anguish of feeling like its me against the world - instead its US against a few....

This Country is heading for disaster. If things do not go completely down into the crapper, there are plenty of people out there who will be in trouble. With Obama's plan to reduce tax deductions given to charities, charities are running scared. The people who depend on these charities are scared.

I am first to admit, I like deducting what I give to my church and the personal causes and funds I prefer. But will I cease to give because I dont get a tax write off? No I will not (I do believe that is what Obama is counting on). But I can guarantee you this - I will aggressively pursue those institutions that use their money the wisest as well as those institutions that help as well as educate and educate in a way that I encourage.....those that get people to work, teach a skill and give them lives - not just give them a handout.

I am not alone either - more are like me than arent....Obama may have won this little tax battle, but ultimately he will lose the war....in so many more ways than just one.... You see, Survivor is so much more than just living.... Its thriving under circumstances that cause others to give up or perish. It means continuing to do what is right and what needs to be done despite unimaginable circumstances. It means that just enduring is not an option - Survivors choose to LIVE and to LIVE with all that word entails.

And you know what? America is full of Survivalists - some just dont know it yet....

2 comments:

Mayberry said...

Most of us realize that folks will pull together when SHTF. But we also realize that some will fall apart. The guy in Pittsburgh being an apparent example..... Some folks have really strange reactions to huge amounts of stress, and can come unglued, but I don't really expect "zombie hordes"..... I'm more concerned about Jack Booted Thugs.......

Ryan said...

I don't think EVERYONE or even MOST people will become theiving cannibal murderers if things go completely to hell. Most people will act more or less honorably (sliding scale between perfect and a bit of theft or whatever) in their quest to survive. It is worth noting that if 5 or 10 percent of people become thieving cannibal murderers (or somewhere on the really scummy side) we will have a real problem on our hands.

IMHO the vast majority of folks would rise to the situation by sharing and helping each other but some would see LEO's being out of the picture as open season.