Friday, May 21, 2010

I thought I was ready....

My munchkins ended their school year yesterday. I thought I was so excited to be free....

We have 1 that is staying, but the boys are here at home from now on....

I am so excited - they are too.... But that doesnt mean yesterday wasnt hard. It was hardest when my littlest whispered the night before "I hope Mrs. XXX will remember me...." My heart just lurched. Baby, she will always remember you. She loves our family, has loved all 3 of my children and we love her....

It was hard to watch my boys say "goodbye" and reassure them we will see their friends again. Some of them we will....and some we will not.... I didnt tell them this - figured if they figure it out, it will be a while down the road and distance will make it easier to accept. Hope the little one doesnt think about it unless he is looking through scrapbooks.

Goodbyes are hard. One thing I have learned moving around so much growing up is that you dont focus on what you left behind - you focus on the adventure ahead. My parents always made the next step something to look forward to.

This is an important skill to teach and it has served me well. It is something I want my kids to learn and how to move past these feelings and focus (a choice) to looking forward....

Scary, but its a skill that may determine who thrives in upcoming days and who doesnt....


Pray - Praise - Prepare

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Aside from basic life sustaining stuff and conceptually knowing what they are missing out on as an adult/ parent I worry about kids the least. They are so darn adaptable. They forgot how things were and have become comfortable with a new environment at about the time adults realize things have changed for good.

It is teenagers and a bit older I worry about psychologically because they don't have the perspective to accept reality and will tend to get down. When a young man in "World Made By Hand" was having a down day and quite accurately told the main character that he used to be a college student and was now a serf it really stuck with me.

I am a bit older and have seen/ lived some crazy things so I doubt that would be me. Also it really motivated me to acquire more grid down skills! I don't want to be a serf.

dioni said...

excellent write up,I keep coming here because
educative posts
lot

dioni said...

excellent write up,I keep coming here because I learn so
educative posts