Friday, March 6, 2009

Quote and then some....

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.- John Adams

I have seen this quote many times and love it each time....this time I copied and pasted it from Ms. Meadowlark at Just Wandering Through - she a cool chick - Cool with a Capital "C" :)

Obviously, it rings of truth - but there is more. It tells me that the crap we are having to put up with (for a while longer, at least) is nothing new. The Righteous John Adams thought the same thing about the Congress that I do - that they are worthless....

There is comfort in that - there is kinship - there is a feeling that nothing new is under the sun and that the sun will come up tomorrow, no matter what happens today. The fact that John and I view Congress the same links me ever more to the Founding Fathers, entrenches me more as We The People, emboldens me, empowers me, fortifies me.

John Adams was We The People - I am We The People - and whatever may come, I will remain, We The People ~ and I will get on my knees and thank God that I am not a shame, a law firm or Congress :)

6 comments:

It's me said...

{blushing} You are too sweet.

That said, this is a perspective that I needed today. All of this has happened before... they got through it, the sun will rise tomorrow.

I've been fairly gloomy lately and I appreciate the perspective.

I drive my tractor in pearls... said...

When I blog, I am preaching to myself....its like my own personal pep talk that everyone gets to watch :)

Been gloomy too - how could anyone not with the DJIA dropping like it has?

I was just crusing your site yesterday and saw the quote and this time, it just struck me different - funny how that happens!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by! I *think* I scooted my desk over to the Dems; I'm not altogether sure about that though. I DO remember that I requested a sit-down with our vice-principal, and was told that matters of curriculum had to be taken up with the school board....and the school board in turn told me that if I wanted to address them, I'd have to have a parent do it on my behalf because students weren't allowed to meet with them directly.

The first of many bull-spit run arounds. Another valuable lesson about government, I reckon.

Brad K. said...

Pearls,

I guess I am paranoid.

Because even though "three useless men is a Congress" is a comment on the individuals in Congress - what I find is scary is that there are so few limits on the damage a Congress can do.

The President is supposed to be one of those limits on Congress, and the one we have now seems intent on leading the parade to dismantle the protections still left to citizens.

I agree we will likely weather this storm. Europe recovered from Hitler, we had a Ronald Reagan to rebuild after Obama's archetype, Jimmy Carter.

Remember when Gummy Rats were the most intriguing, repellent thing out there? (Maybe that was just California .. )

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

John Adams also said, "the preservation of liberty depends upon the intellectual and moral character of the people." If John was right, them we are in a lot of trouble because a great segment of the electorate lacks both of those qualities.

SED